Controversial Call Spoils Purdue-Minnesota Ending (

The final moments of Friday night’s Purdue-Minnesota finish are mired in controversy following a questionable whistle that wiped out the Boilermakers’ go-ahead touchdown with 52 seconds left. Purdue quarterback

found Payne Durham in the back of the end zone for a 19-yard score, but the Boilermakers’ tight end was called for offensive pass interference.

Minnesota swiped Plummer’s next pass to end the game, proving the final tally, 34-31. Replays showed both players fighting each other off with hand checks before the reception was made, common stuff and usually not enough to warrant a flag.

Purdue coach Jeff Brohm was not pleased with the call and let the officiating crew hear it. He initially declined comment on the decisive whistle after the game, but later expounded on it.

“I wish I could comment what I really think,” Brohm said. “We send calls in [to the Big Ten], and sometimes they agree with us, sometimes they don’t. I don’t have the replay and can see it. I just know there was a touchdown [Minnesota] caught earlier in the game, about the same area on the slot receiver, he gave a little nudge and they didn’t call that.

“I’ll just stop there. A big score at the end and it gets called back. I guess we had a penalty.”

Minnesota defensive back Phillip Howard was asked if there was contact before what would’ve been the game-winning touchdown reception.

“Refs made a call. We still had to finish the game,” Howard said.

With the loss, Purdue dropped to 2-2 on the season.

“You know what I think,” Brohm said. “I can’t really comment on it. It’s part of the game and we’ve got to move forward, but yes, I didn’t like it at all.”

Get the fastest scores, stats, news, LIVE videos, and more. CLICK HERE to download the CBS Sports Mobile App and get the latest on your team today.

Minnesota was playing the game without a full roster and coaching staff due to coronavirus.

“[COVID-19] wasn’t the only reason people were out tonight, but there was a lot of players missing,” Gophers coach P.J. Fleck said. “I’m just really proud of our medical staff and our medical team of always putting our players’ health first. And it’s hard for players to get that phone call. It’s really hard.

“They put so much into this and next thing you know you’re out 21 days or you’re hurt and you’re out two weeks. It can be devastating.”

Source link